We are now accepting applications for Climbing Wall Staff. I hope that you will be interested and committed to growing the OA Climbing Program.
Rick Curtis '79
Director, Outdoor Action
Please review this information carefully and then click the button to begin your application. All staff are required to have climbing certification. There will be a Climbing Wall Instructors Course offered early in the fall semester
- Climbing Certification Required: AMGA or PCIA Climbing Wall Instructor, PCIA Base Managed Climbing Instructor or EMS Single Pitch Climbing Course
- Current CPR Certification
- Wall Staff Orientation Meeting
- Two Wall Staff meetings/semester
- Required to work a minimum of 7 hours/semester
- F Rate (~$12.65/hour) Wall Staff will be paid the F Rate for regular Wall Hours including things like AI events.
- I Rate - (~$14.80/hour) Wall Staff will be paid the I Rate when teaching a full-on class like Rocks 101, a Lead Climbing Class, or teaching a specialized Clinic like Escaping a Belay.
- I Rate - (~$14.80/hour) Wall Staff will be paid the I Rate when Route Setting.
Graduate students are eligible to become Wall Staff. Before grad students apply it is important to understand that some graduate students are on fixed stipends from the University and therefore are not permitted to work any additional paid campus jobs. Before applying you need to know what your employment eligibility is. Any graduate students in that situation should talk with OA Director Rick Curtis before applying.
Climbing Wall Staff
Outdoor Action is looking for experienced rock climbers to work at the OA Climbing Wall. Wall Staff check in climbers, distribute climbing gear, teach belaying, coach beginners on climbing skills, maintain equipment inventory, and supervise the facility. There will be regular shift positions and alternates for relief staffing and special events. F Rate - ~$12.65/hour
Climbing Instructors will be teaching specific climbing classes, this includes Beginning Rock Climbing, Intermediate Climbing, and Leading classes. Instructors will be selected from Wall Staff applicants based on their experience. I Rate - ~$14.80/hour
Route Setters will be paid by the route. You will be paid for 2.5 hours for each fully completed route. A routes will be considered complete after a forerunner has climbed it and issued their difficulty rating. I Rate - ~$14.80/hour
Eligibility - Open to undergraduates and graduate students. Please be advised that some graduate students may not be eligible to be paid based on your funding from the University. Any graduate students in that situation should talk with OA Director Rick Curtis before applying.
All final hiring decisions are made by the OA Director. In order to be hired the University also requires that all undergraduate student employees apply for the position at the Student Employment Web site. These positions are ones of significant responsibility since they involve not only technical instruction but also supervision and oversight of a facility. All employees are required to abide by all OA Climbing Wall policies and procedures and are expected to enforce those at all times. Staff are expected to be courteous and professional in their operation of the Wall and their dealings with users.