Share your Reflections about OA
For the thousands of Princeton alumni who have had the privilege of serving as OA Leaders, the phrase "Leadership Starts Here" has a special meaning. So many alumni have told us how transformative that leadership experience has been and how they continue to use those leadership skills and lessons everyday in work and with family. We'd like to hear your story, so give us your OA Leadership Reflection
OA Diversity & Inclusion Initiative
We are really please to report that Outdoor Action was selected as one of the recommendations of the University's Special Task Force on Diversity, Equity and Inclusion for improving the orientation process for undergraduates and graduate students. The report comments that one of the goals should be to:
- Improve student orientation for undergraduates and graduate students by incorporating lessons from Outdoor Action's model of leadership training and group programming; revamping the "Reflections on Diversity" freshman orientation session to introduce core concepts and provide training on responding to bias; and expanding the diversity component in the Graduate School's orientation and addressing these issues in departmental orientations.
Outdoor Action has always incorporated the notion of building a successful and diverse community as part of our goals. The specific implementation of these goals are detailed in the Outdoor Action Diversity and Inclusion Initiative.
About the Outdoor Action Program
The Outdoor Action Program has been an important program for building community at Princeton for more than thirty years. Outdoor Action activities serve as powerful group bonding experiences that help students develop new friendships, learn leadership skills, increase interpersonal and intrapersonal skills, develop concern for the environment, and learn lifelong wilderness skills. Find out what students, leaders, and alumni say about the impact of the Outdoor Action program. If you are interested in helping Outdoor Action continue to grow, see you can help though the Friends of OA.
OA Director Rick Curtis '79 talks about the impact of OA
Rick Curtis has served as the Director of OA since 1981. During that time the program has expanded from 220 participants and 44 leaders to over 715 participants each year and over 220 leaders.
Annual Friends of OA Fund Raising
If you are an Outdoor Action Leader alum then you should be receiving our annual Tiger Trails Friends of Outdoor Action Newsletter. Each fall we do our annual mailing to raise funds to support OA's programs on campus including Leader Training, the Climbing Wall and other trip activities. OA only receives 10% of its budget from the University, 80% comes from student fees to participate and the remaining 10% from alumni, parents and friends. In order to keep OA strong and to provide the best training for all students at a cost that is affordable to all students we need your annual support. Please check out Tiger Trails and find out how you can make a gift this year.
If you'd like to be added to the Friends of OA mailing list, please Contact Us.
Ways You Can Support the Outdoor Action Program at Princeton University
We offer special activities each year for alumni and their families including Alumni Weekend in February, Reunions, and special trips during the year. See the latest issue of Tiger Trails, the Friends of OA newsletter for information on upcoming activities.
Tiger Trails Alumni Newsletter
The latest edition of the Tiger Trails Alumni and Friends of Outdoor Action Newsletter is now available on the OA Web site. Find out the latest news about how the OA Program is growing, see photos from this year's Frosh Trip and read stories of how OA impacts students at Princeton.
Why Outdoor Action is Important to Princeton
- Why Being an OA Leader is so Valuable - leaders reflect on their experience
- OA Leaders Win Major Awards
How do I Make a Gift to Outdoor Action?
All contributions to OA are tax deductible gifts to Princeton University. These funds are used to help support the annual operation of the program in areas such as leader training and community service.
- Gifts can be also made by check by completing the OA Membership & Gifts Form and mailing it to the Outdoor Action Office.
Outdoor Action Program
Dillon Court West
Princeton, NJ 08544
- You can make a gift to Outdoor Action online through the Princeton University Giving Site. You will need to specify that your gift or a portion of your gift should go to Outdoor Action. You do that in the comments section of the Form as shown below. Thank you for your support for OA.
- You can also call the University's 24-hour gift line at: (800) 258-5421 within the United States (609) 258-3373 internationally.