Leader Training for Academic Year '21 - '22
The Outdoor Action Leader Training Program is focused on developing leadership in every student regardless your level of previous leadership or outdoor experience. If you want to take the next step in becoming a more effective leader, sign up for Leader Training over Fall Break, Wintersession, Spring Break or spread out during the spring semester. The Leader Training Program is free to all students.
All students are encouraged to participate in OA Leader Training, whether or not you want to lead OA trips. We are looking for dedicated students who want to intentionally develop their leadership skills to be leaders at Princeton and beyond. In OA we don't just talk about leadership, we place you in real situations where you get to practice leadership and receive feedback that will help you be a better leader.
Leadership Skills you'll develop include:
- Judgement & Decision Making
- Giving & Receiving Feedback
- Bystander Intervention Skills
- Creating effective learning sequences
- Learning how to challenge yourself and others
Sign up for OA Leader Training over Wintersession
Outdoor Action is offering Leader Training workshops over Wintersession for those interested in leading OA Orientation and other trips. This is a great opportunity to build your leadership and outdoors skills. Over Wintersession we are offering:
- CPR - a 3-hour Adult CPR Course
- Wilderness First AId - a two-day first aid course focusing on medical skills in the backcountry
- Leadership 101 & 102 - two five-hour workshops on leadership, group dynamics and team building
- Outdoor Technical Skills - a one-day workshop on outdoor skills including map and compas navigation, Leave No Trace, equipment, cooking and more
- Managing Safety in the Backcountry - a 2-hour workshop on traveling safely in the backcountry
Sign-ups for Wintersession Leader Training will be open Monday, November 1 through Friday, November 19 at My.Princeton.edu
Join the largest student leadership group at Princeton!
- Did you have a great time on your Frosh Trip?
- Want to be an OA Leader next year & help first-year students have a great start?
- Want to meet new people?
- Do you enjoy the outdoors?
- Want to learn new skills?
OA Leader Training is a great way to meet FUN people while you easily complete the training and lead an OA Trip. We are looking for motivated students, graduate students and faculty or staff to become leaders for the Frosh Trip in September. Don’t consider yourself outdoorsy? Outdoor Action will teach you the skills you need to be competent in the outdoors. Our priorities are to find people who are excited about working with others and learning and teaching new skills, and who bring a diversity of experiences and backgrounds to the program. The more our leaders represent the Princeton campus, the more accurate an impression the Frosh will receive. The Outdoor Action Leader Training program is recognized across the country as one of the most comprehensive college outdoor leadership programs. Once you complete all of the requirements this year, you are eligible to apply to lead a Frosh Trip in the fall!