Wilderness First Responder (WFR) Course
Dates: Sun. 1/24/2016 (1 p.m. - 6 p.m.), 1/25 - 1/30/2015 (8 a.m. - 7 p.m.), Sun. 1/31/2016 (8 a.m. - 12 p.m.)
Location: Jadwin A06
Outdoor Action is offering a full Wilderness First Responder Course on campus during Intersession. For the first time, WFR is heavily subsidized for OA Leaders! If you have completed leader training and led atleast 1 multi-day OA trip, the cost is only $75
Why Should You Take WFR?
- You travel in the backcountry as a OA Leader
- You work in remote areas like Engineers without Borders
- You conduct remote field research, travel internationally
- You are interested in the medical or healthcare fields
- You want a professional level first aid certification
- This is the ONLY TIME this year that WFR will be offered on campus
- After completing WFR, you can apply to teach HEART Wilderness First Aid for Outdoor Action and may be eligible to be a paid first-aider for some club sports team events
- If you are interested in becoming an OA Leader this course fulfills both the first aid and CPR requirements
This 70-hour advanced first aid course, taught by experts from Wilderness Medical Associates, emphasizes the wilderness context- remote locations, severe environments and simple improvised equipment. The course will cover patient examination and evaluation, body systems and anatomy, trauma care, environmental emergencies, splints, wilderness rescue, and backcountry medicine. This course includes morning lectures and afternoon skills practice including simulated rescues, daily quizzes, and a final exam. Be prepared for awesome outdoor first aid simulations! People who successfully complete this course receive a three-year certification and are eligible to teach wilderness first aid on campus. University members can register at the OA TripStore.
Members of the general public are welcome to register after December 9 (if spots are open) by contacting the OA office at 609-258-6230. The cancellation policy is: Your registration will be reserved when we receive the required course paperwork, no later than December 21. If you must cancel your participation, a full refund is available if and only if Outdoor Action receives written or person-to-person notification by Dec. 12. If you cancel between Dec. 12 – Jan. 13, you will be charged half or the course fee. No refunds after January 20.